Whatever the business be, user experience is the number one priority for every business in the market today. As a software developer, no matter how complex functions and operations happen in the background, what users see and experience has to be seamless. Powerful, simple and brilliant user interface is the ultimately a customer need from an application.
What is Angular?
It was introduced by Google and is maintained as an open-source framework to benefit the large community that has grown around the framework. Many companies’ websites run on Angular like BMW, Xbox, Forbes, IBM and the list goes on.
Advantages of Angular
- As the data in the Model changes, the View does too and vice-versa. The in-build functionality called two way binding reduces development time.
- Features like dependency injection made components reusable, easier to manage and test. AOT compiler, and flexible third party integration are the other features that are included in Angular.
- Directives made customisation of DOM elements seamless and permitted engineers to develop rich HTML pages.
- Immense developer support from communities and documentation and continued version updates from Google.
What is Vue JS?
The initial release was launched in February 2014 but its stable version was released in March 2018. However, even before it’s first stable release it had already grabbed the attention of developers and got popularity in the market. 9gag, Behance, Gitlab, Wizzair, Grammarly and Alibaba are some of the popular apps that are built with Vue JS.
Advantages of Vue JS
- Ease of integration to other frameworks such as react framework attract developers to use Vue JS to customise their projects.
- The variety of components in Vue JS helps developers to create different types of applications and also handles HTML blocks because of the MVVM structure they follow.
- It doesn’t have many restrictions over coding which makes it inversely proportional to flexibility of completing projects and the documentation provided is improved constantly to include every feature that Vue JS includes.
Which One Is High in Demand?
Let’s see how these technologies have trended over time courtesy: https://insights.stackoverflow.com/
Overflow trends show that, compared to Vue.js Angular is more popular but the growth of Vue has continued from the past couple of years.
Courtesy: Tim Qian
In the above chart we can see the sudden and constant rise of stars in github for Vue.js but the number of contributors aren’t adequate for reaching a conclusion about the popularity of Vue.js to angular.
The Detailed Comparison
The Model View Controller architectural pattern that is followed in Angular differentiates the HTML interface with the logic. Thus helping to organize the components with code and logic. The two way data binding feature that is provided by angular makes the development simpler with MVC pattern.
Two way data binding is an integral part of angular architecture compared to other frameworks that implement the same by using event handlers and listeners. The angular architecture allows the developers to design a clean and simple design by isolating UI and business logic.
Vue.js follows a MVVM pattern. Model contains information/data it’s the data access layer of the architecture, View is the representation of model and View-Model behaves like a link in between the view and the model by means of data binding. VM reflects any changes that have occurred in the model to the view.
The MVVM architecture can be used to develop robust and rich web applications when combined with supporting tools and plugins.
The Model View Controller architectural pattern angular itself makes it a high performing framework. Rendering engine makes the compilation of components swift, thus the development time is considerably reduced. Among the two types of compilations in Angular, the ahead of time compilation helps to decrease the DOM manipulations, usage of pre-compiled HTML and multiple browser rendering. All these features of Angular made this a popular framework.
As far as the learning curve is considered Angular has a steep curve for the first time programming language learners but if you are an experienced developer Angular is easy to pick up. The typescript is what makes Angular difficult to learn
Scalability & Complexity
In the case of scalability Angular wins the title because of its modular development feature ie; we can arrange components as modules and folders with respect to the features, whereas in Vue.js it uses template based syntax which will make things harder with the large size applications.
User Experience & Built in Libraries
Contribution of Angular framework to the front end development is immense. The sophisticated way of displaying information to the users, reflecting the data updates in no time and the SPA feature routing between pages without invigorating the entire page made Angular popular.
The virtual DOM in Vue js gives an opportunity to experiment on the user interface and thus the Vue.js is used for creating simpler, captivating and interactive applications.
The built-in libraries provided in Angular gives the developer a hassle free experience while developing. But in Vue.js the number of libraries are less and the developer has to install it explicitly.
When to Choose Angular?
- If the application contains too much dynamic data, where we need data updates according to the user’s actions which will affect the all linked components with it.
Considering your application is small and has more static pages then angular won’t be your best choice.
When to Choose Vue.js?
- If the application is more about speed, Vue.js can provide you that because of its structure.
- If the application is very light weight then using Vue.js as front end framework will be the best choice because it itself is lightweight. Not only that, the same reason allows users with limited network connectivity to use the application.
- If you want to integrate a specific requirement from Vue.js framework to an existing application that also can be easily done by its lightweight nature.
If your application is bulky and has too much dynamic data it is better to opt for another front end framework which is suitable for these applications.
Which is Better: Angular or Vue?
Consider, if you are going for a simple, fast and straightforward application it is better to use Vue.js and if you have more dynamic content and is a large application go for Angular at any time because of its maintainability and scalability feature.
Vue is simple and straightforward, on the other hand Angular is more mature and has plenty of tools available, both have some features that are alike too. So choosing the right frames work wisely by keeping your application requirements in mind wins the situation. It’s not about all the variety of features available in each framework, it’s how you choose the framework by comparing your business requirements with respect to what the framework offers. Decide on a framework that your application demands for rather than going with the trends.